Balancing the fundamentals with the instrumental
1 Comments Published by rizumu on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 at 9:38 PM.
Web 1.0
Web 2.0
Web 3.0
I've always had a thing for technology but not quick enough to absorb it all. I also had a thing with marketing, and I'm pretty much spending my opportunistic years with her. We're learning, together.
So when we had digital marketing presentation this morning at work, in which I have been exposed to some recent conferences because of the brand I'm involved in and also by the age group equivalent, I was connected or tuned in.
The battle of balancing mass marketing with digital (or boutique as I would call it) marketing; comes to reason with a tough balancing act. Everyone is at some point trying to jump onto the bandwagon and much have change by leaps and bounds in the internetosphere (i just coined that up btw).
After our fellow greek presenter, finished his presentation; there was a time for discussion and it was definitely an engaging one.
Engagement.
Activation.
As we spoke further about digital evolution, I brought up some examples where the mobile internet is quickly becoming the first screen instead of the potential third. Facebook has revamped its layout with vertical reading tabs and horizontal flow of picture viewing - and my thought was, they are tuning it to mobile aren't they? Blogs today are entirely different from it was. I started in 2001 with mblog.com which is now dead and so are my inscriptions, some of the earlier writings that needed me to fork out USD50 to have it sent back to me. At least it was worth something, but I didn't bite.
Blogs today; entries can be made through mobile - blogging through mobile. Youtube integrated, most bloggers are proficient in co-creating, editing, landscaping to entirely make it personal. And they are good, very good. How? The internet is their mentor, and friends have become their support group - the beauty of social networking.
Therein lies the question, somehow I understand the buzz and pulse moving forward, I know where I want to go yet I'm not going yet. Time and time again, I'm telling myself not to rush and the need to learn the fundamentals. My time here at Sara Lee teaches me very good fundamentals, thorough and precise and its a good base. Yes, I have my own ideals & forward thinking and my reading and research still holds true to where I think things may go. I am punting well with no capital investment, just gut feel monitoring and listening to the moves of the market and when it trends in the accordance of my mind; I nailed a dot connecting to the next.
The same applies in the print industry where print used to be mass print in volumes sizes. Since the move of VDP (variable data printing) which operates on the same target suggest that trend too - print is no more print - print = communication.
Therefore, making is personal again (HP tagline)
But in truth, make it relevant to me, make it personal to me. Personal Touch.
So the meeting ended on a note, that I knew I was tapping on the right core. A part of me wants to set out and fly but the reserved and calculated nature in me says, hang on. I am still learning the fundamentals.
And I am a student at fundamentals therefore I won't jump the gun, or try to aim forward yet. I must know my fundamentals. I'm getting there.
When I do, I'll be instrumental.
Labels: Work

it's good to hear that you are also just as interested about web 3.0.. the lines are very blurred though on what it means. I was speaking with Rudi about it that last time we went to see Dark Knight. Whoever that can figure out what the next web '#' is, would be a millionaire haha. Try viewing this site if you are interested to know more on the online mediums of marketing. http://www.imediaconnection.com. It's quite a good place to read up.